India's AIS-140: Is Your GPS Tracking Service Compliant?
Posted on: 2019-03-04
The public transport system is one of the fastest growing industries in India. Each day millions of people depend on public transportation to get to their work, school, etc. In order to regulate traffic congestion and ensure passengers safety, the Indian government has directed every state's public transport department to make sure that all passenger carrying vehicles, except for three-wheelers and e-rickshaws, conform to the AIS 140 standard.
Before you know what the standard has in store for you, it's important that you know about the recent AIS-140 mandate.
What is AIS-140 about?
Automotive Industry Standard 140 (AIS 140) is a set of standards introduced by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) designed to build an Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) specifically tailored to develop better control over transport infrastructure in India. With the mandate of government applicable from April 2018, every public and commercial vehicle is required to be equipped with:
1. An AIS-140 compliant GPS tracking device with support for an emergency button(s) accessible by the passengers and a driver.
2. A well-advanced GPS tracking software to forward a real-time vehicle's location and other vehicle performance data to competent authorities.
Who should be involved?
The initiative would force the following industries to comply with the standard:
- State and government-owned buses and vehicles
- Ambulances and all emergency response vehicles
- All educational institutions vehicles
- Rented cars and vehicles
The key features of AIS-140 compliant GPS tracker
For a device to be AIS 140 certified, it should meet the following parameters:
- Tracking ability using Global Navigation Satellite System, the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System and GAGAN, the Indian Satellite Based Augmentation System.
- At least one Emergency Button located inside the vehicle.
- Two different IP addresses. One set of data (PVT data) should be transferred to the first IP address for regulatory purpose and the second IP address exclusively for emergency request system.
- Internal battery. The device should have an internal battery backup to support 4 hours of normal operations.
- Accelerometer and gyroscope. The device should have a 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscope for getting alerts on ECO driving (harsh braking, harsh acceleration, and rash turning.
- Embedded SIM: The device shall have an embedded SIM.
- Tamper-proof: The device shall be tamper proof and must be resistant to dust, temperature and water splashes (IP65 rated or more).
- Firmware updates Over The Air (FOTA) and configurable backup SMS facility in case of GPRS failure.
Сan your GPS tracking service be compliant right away?
The answer is yes! iTrack gives you all the tools and features.
Hardware. You can use any GPS tracker which is compliant with AIS-140 technical and functional characteristics (we've mentioned them above). However, the device must be approved by ARAI /ICAT. Its certification is mandatory.
At iTrack, we support over 900 GPS trackers. Among them are such top manufacturers as Queclink, Teltonika, CalAmp, ATrack, Galileosky, Cellocator, etc. The current hardware list includes all the above-required features, including SOS (Emergency Button/s), 3-axis accelerometer, video recording through the MDVR and ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems), etc. Just contact our specialists (firstname.lastname@example.org) and they will recommend you a device which meets AIS-140 requirements and has all the features you need for advanced fleet management.
Software. iTrack offers a GPS tracking and telematics platform that goes beyond a simple Track & Trace concept. Our software and mobile apps incorporate all features and advanced functionality needed to comply with the AIS 140 standard. We also offer White Label and Reseller Program for an easy and quick onboarding of your clients by sharing our experience and handholding.
If you are still looking for an AIS-140 compliant GPS tracking platform, you can request a free demo. If you already use iTrack and want to make sure you're compliant, please get in touch with our managers: email@example.com